Current:Home > StocksJurors picked for trial of man suspected of several killings in Delaware and Pennsylvania -Capitatum
Jurors picked for trial of man suspected of several killings in Delaware and Pennsylvania
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 10:23:57
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — The trial of a suspected serial killer who calls himself “the Beast” and is accused in the deaths of several people in Delaware and Pennsylvania during a violent crime spree in 2021 began Monday with jury selection.
A jury panel of 12 was selected for the trial of Keith Gibson, 41, who is being tried for the killings of an Elsmere cellphone store manager and a Wilmington man in separate robberies. The fatal shootings are among a host of charges against Gibson outlined in a 41-count indictment, including assault and attempted murder in two other shootings in Wilmington.
The Philadelphia district attorney has approved murder charges against Gibson for the killings of his mother and a Philadelphia doughnut shop manager, as well as the deaths of two men found shot in the head inside a store in Philadelphia’s Germantown neighborhood in January 2021.
Gibson, dressed in civilian clothes, was handcuffed while escorted in and out of the courtroom Monday. A security officer removed the cuffs after he was seated at the defense table next to attorneys Megan Davies and Richard Sparaco.
More than 80 people have been listed as potential witnesses at the trial, which is expected to last up to four weeks. Attorneys will present their opening statements Tuesday, followed by witness testimony.
Gibson, who has a long criminal history, is accused of going on a violent rampage shortly after being released in December 2020 from a Delaware prison where he served about 13 years for manslaughter and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.
After being identified by Philadelphia police as a suspect in the Feb. 6, 2021, killing of his mother, Christine Gibson, he was charged with violating the terms of his probation by leaving Delaware without permission. Delaware probation officials initially recommended that a judge sentence Gibson to serve the 6½ years remaining on his 20-year sentence in the manslaughter case. They later asked only for a minimum of 30 days after a defense attorney told the judge that Gibson had found work in Philadelphia and that leaving Delaware without permission was just a minor mistake. The judge sentenced him to 31 days, and he was released again April 27, 2021.
Less than three weeks later, prosecutors said, Gibson shot and killed Leslie Ruiz-Basilio, 28, during a robbery at a cellphone store in Elsmere on May 15, then stole her car, which was later found in Philadelphia.
On June 5, Gibson then shot and killed Ronald Wright, 42, during a street robbery in Wilmington, also wounding another man, prosecutors said.
Earlier that same day, Christine Lugo, 40, had been confronted by a gunman as she opened a Dunkin’ shop in north Philadelphia. Police say Gibson pushed her inside, took about $300, shot her in the head and fled to Delaware.
Authorities say Gibson robbed or assaulted three other people in Delaware over the next three days. He was arrested June 8 in connection with the robbery of a Wilmington Rite Aid store, during which a clerk was pistol-whipped. When police arrested him, Gibson was wearing body armor and carrying a knife and loaded handgun.
veryGood! (32)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Nonprofits making progress in tackling homelessness among veterans, but challenges remain
- Morocco debates how to rebuild from September quake that killed thousands
- RHOP's Karen Huger Reveals Health Scare in the Most Grand Dame Way Possible
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Mexico’s ruling party faces a major test: Can it avoid falling apart without charismatic president?
- Grammys 2024 Snubs and Surprises: Barbie, Prince Harry, Miley Cyrus and More
- After a Last-Minute Challenge to New Loss and Damage Deal, U.S. Joins Global Consensus Ahead of COP28
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Astronaut Frank Borman, commander of the first Apollo mission to the moon, has died at age 95
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- SEC, Big Ten showdowns headline the seven biggest games of Week 11 in college football
- Florida deputies struck intentionally by man driving car recovering after surgeries, sheriff says
- Biden and Xi are to meet next week. There is no detail too small to sweat
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Morocco debates how to rebuild from September quake that killed thousands
- Let's Take a Moment to Appreciate Every Lavish Detail of Paris Hilton's 3-Day Wedding
- A Virginia high school football team won a playoff game 104-0. That's not a typo.
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Colorado star Shedeur Sanders is nation's most-sacked QB. Painkillers may be his best blockers.
Walmart's Early Black Friday Deals Almost Seem Too Good To Be True
Cuffing season has arrived. Don't jump into a relationship just because it's here.
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Lake Tahoe ski resort worker killed in snowmobile accident during overnight snowmaking operations
Unpacking the Murder Conspiracy Case Involving Savannah Chrisley's Boyfriend Robert Shiver
Trump joins media outlets in pushing for his federal election interference case to be televised