Current:Home > InvestNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday -Capitatum
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:36:05
Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro will go to trial Tuesday on NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Centercriminal charges that he defied a subpoena for testimony and documents issued in February 2022 by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
The House of Representatives voted in April 2022 to hold Navarro in contempt of Congress. The matter was then referred to the Justice Department, and two months later Navarro was indicted by a grand jury on contempt of Congress charges.
According to the indictment, Navarro faces one count over his refusal to appear for a deposition in front of the committee, and another count for refusing to produce documents.
MORE: Judge says former Trump adviser Peter Navarro has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege
Navarro has pleaded not guilty to both charges. If convicted on both counts, he could face a maximum of two years in prison and fines up to $200,000, according to the Justice Department.
Last week, Judge Amit Mehta ruled that Navarro cannot argue to a jury that then-President Donald Trump asserted executive privilege to block him from testifying before Congress. Mehta said that Navarro's claim that he spoke to Trump last year at which time "Trump clearly invoked executive privilege" provided no specific evidence that Trump had indeed done so.
"There was no formal invocation of executive privilege by [Trump] after personal consideration nor authorization to Mr. Navarro to invoke privilege on his behalf," Mehta said.
After the pre-trial hearing, Navarro doubled down on his claim that Trump formally granted him executive privilege.
"It's been the case where people like me, senior advisers, the president ... cannot be compelled to testify," Navarro said to reporters last week. "There is not a single White House adviser who hasn't asserted executive privilege."
Navarro, who was the director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy in the Trump White House, wrote a series of reports in the weeks following the 2020 presidential election claiming that the election was stolen from Trump.
He was also in contact with Trump ally Steve Bannon about an effort to delay Congress' certification of the election and overturn the results, a plan Navarro dubbed the "Green Bay Sweep" in his book, "In Trump Time," the Jan. 6 committee wrote in its report.
Bannon also defied a House select committee subpoena and was subsequently convicted on two counts of contempt of Congress last year.
veryGood! (5526)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- A famed NYC museum is closing 2 Native American halls, and others have taken similar steps
- Police in Rome detain man who had knife in bag on boulevard leading to Vatican, Italian media say
- 'Days of Wine and Roses,' a film about love and addiction, is now a spirited musical
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Ted Koppel on his longtime friend Charles Osgood
- Key points from AP analysis of Trump’s New York civil fraud case
- Taylor Swift and Jason Kelce Support Travis Kelce at AFC Championship
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Where is Super Bowl 58? Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas is set to host Chiefs vs. 49ers
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Last victim of Maui wildfires identified months after disaster
- China Evergrande is ordered to liquidate, with over $300 billion in debt. Here’s what that means.
- Trial set to begin for 2 accused of killing Run-DMC’s Jam Master Jay over 20 years ago
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Arizona Republicans choose Trump favorite Gina Swoboda as party chair
- North Korea says leader Kim supervised tests of cruise missiles designed to be fired from submarines
- Italy’s Meloni opens Africa summit to unveil plan to boost development and curb migration
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Iran’s top diplomat seeks to deescalate tensions on visit to Pakistan after tit-for-tat airstrikes
Mega Millions winning numbers for January 26 drawing; jackpot reaches $285 million
Yemen’s Houthi rebels say they attacked a US warship without evidence. An American official rejects the claim
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Chiefs' path back to Super Bowl stage looked much different than past runs
Trial to begin for men accused of killing Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
Italy’s Meloni opens Africa summit to unveil plan to boost development and curb migration