Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-Teen charged with murder after stabbing attack at Taylor Swift-themed dance class -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Teen charged with murder after stabbing attack at Taylor Swift-themed dance class
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 02:03:10
A 17-year-old is Charles H. Sloanscheduled to appear in court Thursday in connection with the mass stabbing at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class in England on Monday that left three girls dead and 10 injured.
The teen boy has been charged with the murders of Bebe King, Elsie Dot Stancombe and Alice Dasilva Aguiar, as well as 10 counts of attempted murder and possession of a bladed article, Merseyside Police said in a news release.
Police officials said they are not naming the boy because he is under 18 years old.
"Whilst these charges are a significant milestone within this investigation, this remains very much a live investigation and we continue to work with our partners from Lancashire Police and Counter Terrorism Policing North West (CTPNW)," Merseyside Police Chief Constable Serena Kennedy said in the release.
A 'ferocious attack'
The violent attack occurred in the town of Southport, U.K. when police arrived to a “Taylor Swift event at a dance school" and "were shocked to find that multiple people, many of whom were children, had been subjected to a ferocious attack and had suffered serious injuries," Kennedy said Monday in a statement shared with USA TODAY.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Two children, ages 6 and 7, were killed and the death of another child, a 9-year-old girl, was announced on Tuesday. Ten other children suffered stab wounds in the attack, five of whom remained in critical condition as of Tuesday, along with two adults, according to British police.
“We believe that the adults who were injured were trying to protect the children at the time they were attacked,” Kennedy said in a statement on Monday.
Misinformation, rioting in the town
The mass stabbing has led to misinformation circulating online and public disturbances.
Police warned of misinformation regarding the arrest of the 17-year-old: "A name has been shared on social media in connection with the suspect in the incident in Southport. This name is incorrect and we would urge people not to speculate on details of the incident while the investigation is ongoing."
Merseyside police told The Financial Times on Wednesday that rioting and protesting in Southside on Wednesday had resulted in four arrests and at least 50 police officers injured, and were linked to far-right English Defense League activist group.
Royal Family and Taylor Swift respond
King Charles III described the event as “utterly horrific.”
"My wife and I have been profoundly shocked to hear of the utterly horrific incident in Southport today," the king said in a statement shared Monday on the royal family's X account. "We send our most heartfelt condolences, prayers and deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who have so tragically lost their lives, and to all those affected by this truly appalling attack."
In an Instagram story on Tuesday, Taylor Swift said "The horror of yesterday's attack is washing over me continuously and I’m just completely in shock.”
"The loss of life and innocence, and the horrendous trauma inflicted on everyone who was there, the families, and first responders," Swift continued. "These were just little kids at a dance class. I am at a complete loss for how to ever convey my sympathies to these families."
A “Swifties for Southport” fundraiser on Just Giving had raised over $430,000 as of Thursday afternoon.
Max Hauptman is a Trending Reporter for USA TODAY. He can be reached at [email protected]
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Anthony Anderson to host the Emmy Awards, following strike-related delays
- Lawyers for Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger visit crime scene ahead of planned demolition
- Pope Francis’ 87th birthday closes out a big year of efforts to reform the church, cement his legacy
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Tyreek Hill won't suit up for Dolphins' AFC East clash against Jets
- Demi Lovato Is Engaged to Jutes: Look Back at Their Road to Romance
- Belarus political prisoners face abuse, no medical care and isolation, former inmate says
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Georgia middle school teacher accused of threatening to behead Muslim student
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Jake Browning shines again for Bengals, rallying them to 27-24 overtime win over Vikings
- Confederate memorial to be removed in coming days from Arlington National Cemetery
- Boston Tea Party turns 250 years old with reenactments of the revolutionary protest
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Mississippi State QB Will Rogers transfers to Washington after dominant run in SEC
- DK Metcalf's ASL teacher says Seahawks receiver brings his own flair to the language
- Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid fined for criticizing officiating after loss to Bills
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Teenager Alex Batty returns to Britain after being missing for 6 years and then turning up in France
These 18 Great Gifts Have Guaranteed Christmas Delivery & They're All on Sale
Spoilers! All the best 'Wonka' Easter eggs from Roald Dahl's book and Gene Wilder's movie
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
US military leaders press Israel to shift from major combat as Iranian-backed ship attacks escalate
Apple settles Family Sharing plan lawsuit for $25 million. See if you're eligible for payout
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar breaks hip when he falls at concert in Los Angeles