Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Bomb threats close schools and offices after Trump spread false rumors about Haitians in Ohio -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Bomb threats close schools and offices after Trump spread false rumors about Haitians in Ohio
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 12:39:37
SPRINGFIELD,SafeX Pro Ohio (AP) — Bomb threats prompted the evacuation of schools and government buildings for a second day on Friday in an Ohio community that has been the focus of unwanted attention after former President Donald Trump amplified false rumors that Haitian immigrants are abducting and eating pets.
An emailed threat said bombs had been planted in the homes of Springfield’s mayor and other city officials, said Karen Graves, a city spokesperson. A second email said that bombs would be detonated at locations including Springfield City Hall, a high school, a middle school, two elementary schools, a local office of the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles and a licensing bureau.
The buildings were evacuated, and authorities with explosive-detection dogs swept and cleared them, officials said.
“We are committed to the safety and well-being of our community and take all threats to public safety with the utmost seriousness,” Graves said. “We are currently collaborating with the Dayton office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation to determine the origin of these email threats.”
The Springfield City School District said in a statement Friday that “all threats to the Springfield City School District are taken seriously and will be prosecuted at the highest levels. The district’s messaging to families continues to be one of gratitude for their patience and understanding as our Wildcat Family navigates these events.”
The threatening emails referenced an influx of thousands of Haitian immigrants into the predominantly white, blue-collar city of about 60,000, about 45 miles (72 kilometers) from the state capital of Columbus.
At Tuesday’s presidential candidate debate with Vice President Kamala Harris, Trump repeated debunked claims about Haitian immigrants eating cats and dogs. Trump’s comments echoed similar claims made by his campaign, including his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance, and other Republicans.
veryGood! (6295)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Meet The Everyday Crypto Investors Caught Up In The FTX Implosion
- Jamie Lee Curtis Shares Photo of Foot in Medical Boot After Oscar Win
- Get Sweat-Proof Makeup That Lasts All Day and Save 52% on These Tarte Top-Sellers
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London
- Twitter employees quit in droves after Elon Musk's ultimatum passes
- Olivia Culpo Teases So Much Drama With Sisters Sophia and Aurora Culpo
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Tesla's first European factory needs more water to expand. Drought stands in its way
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Elon Musk says Ye is suspended from Twitter
- Prince Harry at the coronation: How the royal ceremonies had him on the sidelines
- Luke Combs and Wife Nicole Expecting Baby No. 2
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Arrests on King Charles' coronation day amid protests draw call for urgent clarity from London mayor
- Arrest of ex-Pakistan leader Imran Khan hurls country into deadly political chaos
- This Detangling Hairbrush With 73,000+ 5-Star Amazon Reviews Is on Sale for $12
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
How TikTok's High-Maintenance Beauty Trend Is Actually Low-Maintenance
Elon Musk targets impersonators on Twitter after celebrities troll him
Elon Musk allows Donald Trump back on Twitter
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
U.S. bans the sale and import of some tech from Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE
Karaoke night is coming to Apple Music, the company says
Mexico will increase efforts to stop U.S.-bound migrants as Title 42 ends, U.S. officials say